Wednesday, January 29, 2014

My best macro shot !




The Reason i am declaring this as my best macro shot, Although I have many more allot more artistic or of insect. This little marine snail is not much bigger than *     yep! thats it the size of that star. If not 1/2 its size.  I found them when diving off the Clements reef, In the marine park, many were saying red tide, When a red tide happens, there is no marine life, it kill mostly everything that feeds on it.
This marine snail commonly known as a sea butterfly was in abundance.
So on my next dive. i rigged up a little sample pot. Took it with me, on my safety stop at 5 mts.
there they were, Lucky for me I have macro lenses fitted in my mask. or these little marvels that are food for much small fish and larger plankton feeders.  Would just look like a brown smudge. i eagerly captured them, Took them home.
I then rigged up two plate sheets of glass I bought for this 6x4 inch.
put them together with a sent each Side for depth. With marine tank silicone sealed bottom and sides, making a very narrow tank to put just enough water in, to allow this snail to swim, Without going back and forth from the lens of the camera,

With side dedicated flash, and a 60mm macro lens fitted to extension tubes . Aperture fixed at F22

Several shots. took this wonderful shot of this minute marine creature. canon 7d. all set of 3 tubes were used. 1+2+3.  slightly cropped and the background particles and bubbles spotted out. 

One reason for keeping focus shallow, is to avoid cluttered backgrounds Depth is good for keeping all the subject in focus, Nowadays you can use photo stacking that allows you to layer photos of the same subject at different focus, Providing the subject is still! 

2 comments: